On the property
Omaha River Retreat is more than just a Holiday Home. Set on 20 acres, Guests are
free to walk around the property. Generous lawns surround the house for outdoor
activities such as petanque, badminton and volleyball, plus there is a trampoline
A short walk down the hill takes you to the river, which at high tide is ideal for swimming,
sailing or kayaking.
There are two kayaks and a dinghy available for guests to use, plus life jackets.
At low tide the river can be explored, oysters gathered or you can visit the shag's
Within our property we have a block of native Kauri trees, some up to 300 years
old, plus other native trees that provide a peaceful haven for many birds such as
wood pigeons, tui’s, kakas, kookaburras, grey herons, shags, ducks and other sea
birds. You are welcome to walk through the area, we have made a 15min bush walk,
not suitable for prams or the elderly.
There is a boat ramp at the bottom of the property which has road access. 4wd vehicle
Relax and Unwind, enjoy the peace and privacy which is the essence of Omaha River
A 5 minute drive and you are in the heart of the Matakana Village:
- Saturday Farmers Market; local produce, food, music..,
- World class cinemas; in the top 5%, leather seats, wine permitted.
- Boutique shops.
- Grocery shop, Nosh food market, local butcher, Indian Takeaway, Petrol station, liquor shop, Chemist.
- Arts and Crafts.
- Café’s: The Black Dog, Lamington’s, Plume Café, The Love Shack.
- Restaurants: Matakana Country Kitchen, Rusty Pelican - Restaurant and Bar, takeaway pizza, Matakana Pub
- Vintry Wine Bar
Matakana Country Park: Located just 4km down the road from Omaha River Retreat
Adventure Playground and animal petting farm for children.
You can enjoy everything equestrian on the sidelines or take in your own riding lesson.
- Saturday market, withloads of Parking.
- An Art Gallery and Café.
- Craft Co-op
- The Circuit Room, gymnasium, casuals welcome.
- Military Arts; paint ball, archery, axe throw, confidence course.
- The Stables Restaurant.
Other activities close by:
- Golf course, tennis court or surf and swim at Omaha beach.
- Goat Island Marine Reserve; swim, snorkel or dive. (hire equipment available at Goat Is. Dive).
- Glass bottom Boat.
- Tawharanui Regional Park; beautiful beaches and walks.
- Take the ferry to Historic Kawau Island for the day.
- Horse riding at Pakiri beach.
- Morris and James Pottery and Tile Works (tours available).
- Fishing Charters.
Enjoy vineyard tours and wine tasting:
- Heron’s Flight
- Runner Duck wines at Plume Restaurant
- Omaha Bay Vineyard
- Takatu Vineyard
- Contour Estate
- Hyperion Wines
There is so much more to see and do.......... Auckland’s Playground